Why do we have an Academy Uniform?
We believe that uniform plays a valuable role in contributing to the positive ethos of our academy, setting an appropriate tone.
- It enables pupils to wear clothes appropriate for working in safe and aspiring environment.
- It clearly signals our high expectation of pupils and our strong work ethic, instilling pride in the school.
- It protects pupils from social pressures to dress in a particular way, nurturing cohesion and promoting good relations between different groups of pupils.
- It helps pupils to prepare for their futures in the world of work, where dress codes are usually expected.
- Our uniform is used to identify us in the local community and the pupils wearing it, reflect the academy motto of Making a Positive Difference.
- Brook Mead Academy blazer with school logo
- Plain white collared school shirt, buttoned to the neck (long or short sleeves are permitted), tucked in at all times.
- Brook Mead Tie
- Grey suit trousers from Uniform Direct.
- Brook Mead kilt skirt from Uniform Direct.
- School shoes are to be plain black, formal and made of either matt leather or polishable material only. No open toe, heels, pumps, trainers, canvas, boots with fur collar, designer or footwear resembling trainers.
- Scholar ID card.
- An outdoor coat is allowed during cold weather. This must be removed when arriving for lessons, the assembly hall, in the restaurant and in the library etc. The coat should be in addition to, not instead of, the academy blazer.
These items are also allowed:
- Head scarves or head coverings worn for religious observance must be plain black.
- Plain black tights may be worn under a skirt.
- Jewellery must be small and discreet. Stud earrings and one nose small piercing only.
- Turbans to be plain black and should be secured with small pins.
- Make up must be minimal and discreet.
These items are not allowed:
- Hooded or zip tops (other than official academy uniform).
- Baseball caps.
- Jogging bottoms, jeans, jeggings or leggings.
- False eyelashes and nail extensions.
All pupils must have the following PE uniform:
- Brook Mead PE polo shirt from Uniform Direct
- Black shorts
- Black football socks or white socks
- Plain Black tracksuit bottoms (small logo allowed)
- Brook Mead ¼ zip jumper from Uniform Direct (outdoors activities)
- Trainers (any colour)
Teachers will advise students on the kit to wear. This will be dependent on the activity the students are performing. For some sports, the students might need specialist equipment. For example if the students are timetabled for football, they will need to wear shin pads.
Students will be allowed to wear gloves and hats when the weather is extremely cold to allow them to engage in PE without undue discomfort. They will be encouraged to bring extra layers to wear under their normal PE kit if needed.
When the activity is timetabled in indoor areas, students will be expected to bring a spare pair of clean trainers.
Students are expected to come to school each day with the equipment that they need in order to help them to learn and flourish:
- suitable school bag
- pencil case,
- Casio Fx83GTX calculator (can be purchased from school)
- reading book
- any specialist equipment, such as PE kit;
We have high expectations of all of our students and we expect them to wear their Brook Mead uniform with pride.
- Students wear the navy blazer with a white shirt and school tie at all times. Staff may give permission for the blazer to be removed in lessons.
- Students wear a plain white collared school shirt, buttoned to the neck. Shirts must be tucked in.
- Students may choose to wear either academy graphite grey business trousers or the academy tartan school skirt. They must not be leggings, jeggings or jeans. Skirts and trousers must be purchased from Uniform Direct
- Students must wear the correct length skirt, choosing from the 2 lengths available at Uniform Direct. Skirts must not be rolled over at the waistband.
- Students wear the BMA tie each day. Ties will be tied correctly, tie length must meet the waistband of the skirt or trousers. The coloured strips on the tie must be visible
- A plain jacket or overcoat may be worn over the top of the blazer. No hoodies, denim or sports logo tops are permitted
- A grey V-neck school jumper, with royal trim, school jumper may be worn underneath the blazer. This can be purchased from Uniform Direct.
- Students must wear their lanyards and ID badges at all times
- Jewellery must be discreet. Earrings must be small studs. Nose piercings are allowed but this must be a small single stud. No other facial piercings are permitted.
- Head scarves and turbans must only be worn in plain navy or grey. Head scarves must be tucked into the collar of the shirt so that the full school tie is visible at all times
- Hair accessories must only be grey, white or navy blue
- False, acrylic or gel nails are not permitted. Nails must not be overly long or sharp.
- False eyelashes are not permitted. Makeup must be discreet.
- Only navy, black, grey or flesh coloured tights may be worn. Leggings to the ankle may be worn under the skirt.
- Footwear will be flat, plain, black and clean with no coloured laces, stitching, logos or patterns. Heels must not be higher than 3cm. Footwear must be clean
- At break and lunchtimes only – blazers may be removed in warm weather. After playing outside and before going inside, ties should be put back and shirts tucked back in.
The academy reserves the right to determine what it considers to be acceptable in all of the above requirements.